Get Creative Series: Part 1 - Photography

Sunday 11 May 2014

This year, more than others, I've really broadened my creativity. I've started a blog, I've began taking photographs with a more critical eye and I've developed, even further, my taste in music. But being creative can involve a whole lot more than just the few things I have mentioned. From fashion and food, to art and even dancing, the possibilities of outlets through which you can express your creativity are endless. Over the next short while I'm going to be posting some of the ways I like to chill out/enjoy myself through creativity and I hope these ideas will also help you to awaken your artistry. The first topic in my Get Creative series of posts is the art of photography. Hope you like it!

This photo was taken with my smartphone's 5MP camera,
proving that expensive photography equipment isn't always
needed for impressive results

Start Snapping

Photography is something I only began to appreciate and take a bit more seriously in recent months. I mostly just use my smartphone (with its humble 5MP camera) or a pretty basic 10MP Fujifilm digital camera as I don't think pricey SLR cameras are always necessary when starting out. I find that using your smartphone wisely and trying out different photo editing apps can give just as promising results.

For my Instagram account (@lifebeautyblogger), I sometimes edit my photos with an app called AfterFocus and then use a softening filter like Walden, Valencia or Nashville to give a nice finishing touch. Other times, I leave  photo just the way it is, if I am already happy with the colour and lighting.

An untouched photo I took this morning

The same photo edited, as described above, for Instagram

The most important aspect to keep in mind while taking photographs is, of course, lighting. Also, consider the photograph as a whole; the background is equally as important as the subject, and clutter will only take from the picture. Lastly, always keep your eyes wide open as you never know when the perfect photo opportunity may arise (and I'm not talking about selfies!) whilst exploring a bustling street or strolling along a quiet country lane.

A recent unedited photo I took while on a boat to the Aran Islands.
This was also taken on my smartphone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Design by | SweetElectric